Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chocolate Robber

In Kansas, the wedding couple gave each invited guest staying at a hotel a gift bag that included snacks, an information booklet about the town, and a large box of Russell Stover chocolates. I love chocolate. So, I highly anticipated the quiet moments in our hotel room when I would get to try and savor each piece.

Most of the chocolate disappeared sometime between our arrival on Thursday night and the following Saturday morning. The chocolate left in the box exhibited bite marks or missing corners. I never thought about it, knowing that I was the one who nibbled on and taste-tested the pieces. Ben’s not a chocolate fan, so who would ever notice?

A three-year-old… that’s who.

Our three-year-old nephew repeatedly asked for candy on Saturday morning after smelling chocolate on my breath upon return to his room from ours. Finally, Ben took him to our room and when they came back, Theo walked directly toward me, looked me straight in the eye, and in front of my husband’s family asked, “Why you eat bites off ALL the chocolate?”

Ben echoed Theo’s sentiment with, “Yeah, Theo couldn’t find ANY pieces that weren’t half-eaten.”

Oops. Some aunt I am.

No comments: