Monday, January 7, 2008

Where There's A Will, There's A Way


Ben and I need to exercise – if not for our health, then our sanity. When the weather turned cold, we morphed into lazy, lifeless blobs with no motivation, no oomph. No desire to be productive.

It’s work to drag myself off the couch and participate in a vigorous activity. I sensed trouble when cleaning our 350 square foot apartment became laborious. When I broke a sweat dusting our four pieces of furniture.

A few incentives do motivate me to work out. I love the brisk, six block walk to McDonalds. A cheeseburger, French fry, and Diet Coke from the dollar menu are worth the energy spent.

We eat (a lot). We watch bad, bad TV (too much). We make brownies and then eat some more. Jabba the Hutt would be proud.

New Yorkers do get more exercise than most people since we walk everywhere. I once heard that the average New Yorker walks almost four miles a day. Unfortunately, that statistic isn’t true for me since I substitute teach five blocks away from our apartment.

Ben has a little more gumption then me. He first suggested that we exercise. Great idea, I said. I’ll do it as soon as this next show is over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better. Read it to the OR crew this morning. One of the docs said to get fresh vegs and fruits at the asian open air market. Better prices. Love you. Also, very proud of you. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like the new masthead and the fresh pictures, and the links, too.
Leta is almost like part of the family, already.

I can let you in on this life experience - the urge to exercise will pass, and then come back to bite you when you weigh yourself on honest scales.

Either way, it's painful

Unknown said...

my husband came close to a heart attack when he stepped on the scale recently and saw a 2 in front of his numerical weight. now granted it was only 201.8-but still...they never tell newlyweds how easily the pounds creep up when you are enjoying wedded bliss.

happy (not) exercising!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the All American meal from Micky D's. Remember the days of cruising downtown Morehead and the frequent late night trips to the drive-through. Always a favorite. Greg and I have become blobs too. I get sleey when it turns dark around 7:00 p.m. and all I wanna do is eat warm food and watch Grey's. I've resorted to more caffine but the caffine has resorted to my growing stomach "pooch", which I thought would be a result of pregnancy (to come later in life of course) but has decided to show itself early. I'm begging Woody to join the Y!