Friday, January 18, 2008

Mirrored Emotions

We tend to emotionally mirror each other. When Ben’s happy, I’m happy. When I’m stressed, he’s stressed. But, for some reason, when either of us gets angry or frustrated, the other person calms down to enjoy the free entertainment.

A month ago, I nearly busted an artery when I opened the cabinet door and a Tupperware avalanche almost decapitated me. In anger, I yanked down the George Foreman grill, dropped it in the sink, and chipped a corner. Ben moseyed over, observant to the scene, and sweetly asked if I needed help. Uh, yeah, like five minutes ago. At that point, what I really wanted was help knocking the syrupy pseudo-concern out of his voice. My state clearly entertained him, which only infuriated me more. I bit my tongue knowing his time would come.

The sound on our DVD player goes in and out. I don’t mind. In fact, I say, forgo the movie for a rerun on TV. Not Ben, whose threshold is low for defunct electronics. Last night, I prepared to stifle a laugh when no sound accompanied our movie. He shot off the couch, ripped the DVD player off the stand, wrenched out the cords, and shook it as hard as possible… because that usually works. The angrier he got, the more amused I became. Of course, I masked my entertainment with a stanch, concerned face.

Revenge can be so sweet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome to married life men set back and watch because they dont give a d--- just ask your mom sure your dad has done that from time to time

Anonymous said...

are we not working much this week?

Anonymous said...

saw the Bucket List, good movie.
:-)

Anonymous said...

i'm smiling so big right now because I know EXACTLY what you mean...in a sick and twisted way, there can be just a slight hint of joy when you watch your spouse get pissed about something.

i can just picture that evil little grin of yours that I'm sure you did a great job hiding!

Anonymous said...

Why do i feel like a sated fly on the wall? it's no secret at all. every artist is a cannibal, every poet; a thief. all kill for inspiration and sing about their grief. You're a wonderful writer. Bono has an apartment in NYC. I'll bet he's got no GF grill...

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK

Unknown said...

I can picture this story so perfectly... b/c it happens to us too! I can just see you sitting there holding back a smile toothy grin! Brant is getting a big kick out of these! Good entertainment!