Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Employment

I worked today and have been requested for the rest of the week. Yes! The school didn’t need me last week so I sat bored and glued to the Sci-Fi channel afternoon movies of “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” and “Tremors”. I just couldn’t find the willpower or attention span to watch Brett Michael’s Rock of Love: Season II… for the third time.

My dad once claimed that I’d avoid getting a job despite having a master’s degree, which took seven years to earn and pushed back his retirement. He so easily, so carelessly dismissed my college work experience… a beverage cart driver at a golf course and eastern Kentucky’s undisputed “hostess with the most-ess” where the job requirements included lifting heavy cases of booze, serving customers in inclement weather, and seating patrons with a smile.

I like to work and stay busy. Life is better. I wake up happier, my energy level increases, my outlook is positive, and I have a purpose.

I just passed the New York state certification exams. By the end of February, early March, I should be licensed and able to interview for jobs. Until then, I wait by the phone in hope (and desperation) for news that I am needed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on passing your exams!!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to wish you A HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I didn't realize that my teasing bothered (hurt) you that much. I am sorry.

your father