Thursday, January 3, 2008

Lookin' Good


Ben and I met friends Saturday night at a bar in the East Village. We walked a long way to get there. I say we were lost, but Ben claims that we went “sightseeing” before arriving one hour and thirty minutes late. I admit that my beauty routine cannot be rushed, but I attribute the lost time to Ben’s sense of direction.

The best part of the night was when Ben learned a hard lesson. That beauty is pain.

He wore a very carefully selected outfit with a pair of brand new shoes – fitted, pointy toed, leather shoes with one strategically placed brass buckle on the side. Very city chic. Two blocks from our apartment, he complained that his new shoes fit snugly and rubbed his heel. Fifteen blocks and two subway rides later, he started to limp. What a wimp.

When we arrived at the bar, Ben immediately slid his feet out of his shoes to find two bloody socks and heels with not one, but two blisters. He looked at me, sought comfort. All I could think was… rookie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are reading this in the OR. What a trooper you are. Ben too.

Anonymous said...

Men think they know what "rough" is. I'd like to see them cram 93 bobby pins into their head and still have good posture, let their hair set in hot rollers and still be ready in under an hour, or use a flat iron on something other than clothes. It's good for them to learn these "life truths"...pain IS beauty. good work itty.

Anonymous said...

Men think they know what "rough" is. I'd like to see them cram 93 bobby pins into their head and still have good posture, let their hair set in hot rollers and still be ready in under an hour, or use a flat iron on something other than clothes. It's good for them to learn these "life truths"...pain IS beauty. good work itty.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed a couple of weeks, and I now detect a somewhat 'edgier' itty bitty.

You might have tickled that old man out of the way with a fishing pole from sporting goods. At WalMart, during Christmas, anything goes, but nothing moves.

Also, your ebay success gives me hope for realizing that my garage full of junk might be just the ticket to a South Seas vacation. (Turn the up the volume on "Red Sails In the Sunset).

Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Hey EVK, your dad sent you url to my dad, and thus I now have it. I love your stories. You are a great writer...maybe you can make a little money that way. Best Wishes. My blog is
http://www.leshayanez.blogspot.com I am definately doing the short hand version and Madeline is my apprentice. Miss you! Love, Lesha