Friday, September 4, 2009

Mindset

I have been easing back into the routine of being in the city again. I got used to the slower pace and laid back atmosphere of Kentucky, and knew it would be hard to adjust back to city life once I returned. Even though I had been back almost a week, I still had a southern mindset until the other day…

On Monday, I witnessed a shoplifter/store clerk confrontation in CVS where the shoplifter yelled back at the store clerk and defended his right to steal. One taxi almost flattened me and another flipped me off. I paid more than double for Frosted Mini Wheats ($6.49 vs. $2.34 at Super Wal-Mart in Kentucky). And, at the end of the day, I watched a very tall transvestite cuss out a different store clerk for gender discrimination at the same aforementioned grocery store (the clerk confused her pronouns).

I finally had my “aha” moment during the last incident and came to grips with the fact that I am now, officially, back in NYC. Whew. Way to roll out the red carpet and welcome me back, New York!

No comments: