Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bags, Bags, and More Bags

We only buy what we can carry in New York City. Wherever you are, whatever you buy… you have to haul it with you. It’s a good workout for the biceps.

My girlfriend and I met on Sunday afternoon to go to Bed Bath & Beyond and then the movies down the street. We bought bed sheets, a Dirt Devil vacuum, all natural dish soap, light bulbs, mouthwash, a basket, body wash, and several other items that made our bags even heavier and bulkier. We carried the bags into the movies and conveniently placed them on the seats next to us, taking up the entire row.

Until that moment, I had never noticed how many people lug stuff in to the movies. We saw two more women in the theater with a BB&B bags, and then in the bathroom I saw multiple bags from the Gap and Duane Reade. One lady even carried a brand new broom and dustpan into the stall with her!

We have to carry our purchases around since we don’t have cars or trunks to store things. I remember thinking how weird that was when I first moved here. Now, it’s normal and doesn’t strike me as funny until moments like this remind me just how different life in New York can be.

No comments: