Friday, August 7, 2009

Scavenger

Ben and I collected boxes this week from grocery stores, bodegas, Duane Reades, and the street to save money and pack for our big move on Saturday. On Tuesday morning, while Ben was at work, I hit the jackpot at Gristedes grocery store on 96th street thanks to Darrell, the manager. He hooked me up big time and saved me from a lot of extra work and walking.

Darrell gave me 6 boxes at 9:30am that I stacked and carried home BY MYSELF to 93rd street. Apparently, that was a big deal in New York City. People acted impressed to see a small blonde carrying a five-foot tall tower of corrugated cardboard down a New York City sidewalk.

Taxicabs and doormen whistled and catcalled as the boxes teetered precariously above my above head. Two moving trucks on 91st street with small armies of men cheered me on as I scooted by. One guy even yelled, “You for hire?”

Needless to say, Ben was very proud to come home from work and see an apartment full of packed boxes. He’s always pretty impressed with my toughness. My brute strength definitely keeps him in line and lets him know who’s boss of our current, but soon to be old, apartment.

No comments: