Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fleeting Moment

I froze in the hallway at school on Friday, the last day of summer school. My olfactory nerve detected an unusual, yet vaguely familiar, scent... one rare in New York City and never smelled before by me... FRESHLY CUT GRASS! I eagerly wrinkled my nose and sniffed again with the hope of getting just one more teensy tiny whiff.

But, the smell quickly passed.

Sigh.

Until that moment, I had completely forgotten about the delicious, clean smell of freshly cut grass. And, I didn't even realize that I had forgotten about it until that moment. That's what happens when living in a concrete jungle.

I will now spend the rest of my summer afternoons by grass, even if the closest patch is three blocks away. Time to google New York City's parks and recreation mowing schedule. I'm ready for summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Philip Anthony could fill a big plastic bag with clippings and send it off to you via FedEx. He has tons of clippings every week.
Grandpa Phil

carolyn said...

So very interesting how a smell can elicit a memory of another place/time. The nose remembers!
Carolyn