Friday, February 13, 2009

Washington D.C. Visit

Last weekend, Ben and I took the Fung Wah bus from Penn Station to Washington D.C. Roundtrip we spent only $70 and 9½ hours on a charter bus. Talk about a cheap way to travel. The tolls from NYC to DC alone cost that much!

Unlike our last experience on the Fung Wah, this trip proved to be less eventful. We (and our suitcase) made it safely to and from DC. Only once did the bus pull away from a gas station and leave several passengers in a dead sprint for the closing doors, including Ben.

We stayed in DC with Ben’s best friend, Nick, and his girlfriend. We enjoyed their company, but LOVED their new and humongous apartment. A place so grand, it’s since been taunting us with dreamy house things. Things that New Yorkers long for and most Americans take for granted - washer/dryer, full size appliances (including a dishwasher), full size couches, multiple rooms, a place to park a car… the list goes on.

I had to make my one full day in DC worthwhile. So, while the boys went to THE mall, we girls went to A mall. At first, I felt guilty, a little unpatriotic, about not visiting THE mall; I justified my decision after realizing that shopping at A mall would help the economy and in turn be more American than walking around monuments all day. At least that’s what I told myself.

God bless the USA – it’s public transportation, it’s shiny things, and it’s many malls.

No comments: