Monday, October 27, 2008

The Return Home

I knew we were back in the city as soon as we departed the plane at LaGuardia airport on Sunday afternoon. I heaved my suitcase up the two flights of stairs that led to the baggage claim terminal and fondly recalled the hospitality and genuine friendliness we encountered at the Bluegrass airport. The tinkling laugh of the desk agents and the “ya’ll enjoy your trip” sendoff from security replayed in my mind.

My happy memory quickly faded when the airport agent that awaited our arrival at LaGuardia greeted each deplaned passenger with a stern gaze and straight face. No sunny Sunday afternoon smile. Not even a small wave.

I dropped my suitcase and rolled it through the crowded terminal, shaking my head at the difference 600 miles can make. Oh, Kentucky, how I love thee.

1 comment:

Greg and Laurel said...

So apparently, as I was arriving at Bluegrass Airport yesterday from Tampa, Greg saw your dad from a distance. I told him he was probably dropping you off from you being in town for the wedding. Funny we missed each other. I arrived in KY around 3:00 yesterday afternoon. I was so glad to be back in the Bluegrass, oh how I love thee.