Friday, October 3, 2008

Not Cool Enough

Yesterday, in school, a small group of students were upset by the difficulty of a class assignment. Amidst the whining and the groaning, I said “Whoa, guys. Chill out. Don’t worry. We’ll get it.”

Five fourth graders turned my way and burst into laughter. Apparently, I said something… wrong?

A student spoke, “You can’t say ‘chill’. That’s a cool word that teachers can’t use.”

Everyone murmured in agreement.

Wait! What? Excuse me! I am 26 years old, wear skinny jeans, AND watch Gossip Girl… how am I not cool?

These kids really know how to hit below the belt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are very cool. I thought they were going to say that nobody cool says 'chill' anymore. Of course, your qualification of a cool person might not mean as much coming from a self-proclaimed dork like myself