Monday, June 30, 2008

I'm Back

It’s been an incredibly busy week... hence, the lack of posts. Fortunately, I can now unwind and review posts that I wrote last week, but didn’t have time to edit. Then it’s off to Cape Cod for the weekend. Geez, I’ve got it rough.

Lots happened last week. So much happened, in fact, that I ran on six hours of sleep a night instead of my standard eight. And, that did not always make a happy camper.

On Tuesday evening, I joined friends at Central Park for a free concert by the New York Philharmonic. I took one of Ben’s large blue folding chairs that can be carried like a backpack because it had rained earlier that day. The chair is big on Ben, so it basically ate me when I put it on.

I went into Duane Reade (with chair on back) to get snacks for the concert and totally knocked out an elderly couple as I cleared a shelf of products. Tourists in buses snapped pictures of me as I blazed a trail up Broadway and flattened throngs of pedestrians and strollers that got in my way. The giant chair embarrassed me, but I knew the humiliation would be worth it once I got to the park and didn’t have to sit on wet grass. As it turned out, the rain never touched Central Park and the ground was dry. Typical.

On Wednesday night, Ben burst through the front door after a three day business trip and excitedly announced that an almost new micro-suede couch sat on the curb one block from our house. After living in the city for almost a year, I immediately grasped the gravity of the situation and we headed down the street. I inspected the couch as Ben gathered the couch’s history from the building’s doorman. Who previously owned it? Why did they toss it? Did they have pets? Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Then Ben realized the couch came with a twin size hideaway bed. Jackpot! Decision made. We hauled the couch off the curb and carried it home, where it now sits perpendicular to the floor and on its side until we decide which couch to keep – the Craigslist couch or the curb couch. Either way we’ll sell one and make some extra cash. Hopefully.

On Thursday, I survived the last day of school at both my Upper East Side and Harlem schools, a true feat. An achievement that tells the world “I worked full time in the New York City public school system and lived to tell about it.” Something that I will always refer back to when trying to one-up somebody.

We also managed to fly out of LaGuardia airport on Thursday night to make it home for a wedding that I was in over the weekend. When our plane landed in Louisville, I breathed a sigh of relief, happy that the week’s chaos was behind us and we could finally relax and enjoy the wedding weekend. Unbeknownst to me, the next morning, my crown would pop off my tooth and hit the mirror as I flossed my teeth before the bridesmaids’ luncheon. Ay yiy yiy.

Life is never boring. Never.
This might be the first time I have ever said this…
But, thank God it’s Monday.

No comments: