Monday, January 4, 2010

Holiday Surprise

The trip from New York to home went well... once I met Ben at Penn Station and he switched suitcases with me. Again, I over-packed. Just a little.

The subway ride to Penn was a workout. My suitcase was monstrous. Absolutely, ridiculously huge. A 50 pound solid block of clothes and presents. I don’t know why I thought I could maneuver something that large around the city.

I first tried to carry my suitcase down the subway stairs, but gave up when my arm lost all feeling. I then took the only other option. I grabbed the handle and, with a great heave-ho, pulled the suitcase down each step very, very slowly. Each clunk reverberated loudly in the concrete stairwell. I listened for exasperated sighs and slews of cuss words from the backlog of commuters behind me, but never heard anything. Holiday spirit was definitely in the air!

The problem, I realized, was that once I got down two flights of stairs I had to go back up another flight of stairs! I grabbed the handle of the suitcase and started to drag it up each step. I had to get to Penn in one piece and on time.

Suddenly, my load became lighter! I gasped and imagined the worst - had my suitcase split in two?!? I made a quick decision before turning around... if my stuff was scattered on the stairs I was going to leave it. Good riddance.

I turned. My suitcase was still intact. But, a man, my guardian angel, had picked up the backend of my suitcase! He helped me carry it up the entire flight of stairs. When I turned to thank him, he was already walking away and into the crowds of people. I watched the lit end of his cigarette get smaller and smaller. And, then he was gone.

Thank you, New York, for that very appreciated Christmas present.

No comments: