Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tips to Navigate Public Transportation: Tip #2

TIP #2

When you get on a bus or a subway, don’t dilly dally in the front and mosey around looking for a seat. That wastes time and annoys everyone behind you because you clog the entrance and prompt people to shout unruly things at you. Plus, everyone already seated or standing automatically assumes you are a tourist. And, honestly, who wants to look like a tourist?

Head straight for the nearest open standing area or seat and sit down. My blood pressure skyrockets when people stop in the entrance and cause the doors to close with people still waiting outside. People that could have easily squeezed in the extra space! It's a double doozie for those left behind when running late, or when it's cold and rainy.

Ben and I once got separated on the subway because a family of tourists stopped in the doorway of the subway car, which inevitably pushed Ben back onto the platform. The doors closed before Ben could squeeze on, and I limply waved bye to Ben as the train took off. Ben shrugged his shoulders and we exchanged a look of understanding as the train zoomed down the track and left him on the platform as I rode to the next station. Trust me when I say that those tourists received no warm and fuzzy smiles from me. Pretty sure I rolled my eyes and sighed extra obnoxiously loud just to get my point across... okay, so I didn't really do the second part, but I thought about it.

No comments: