Monday, March 23, 2009

Star Potential

And, yet again, I add another celebrity name to the list… Dennis Leary, the star of the TV show “Rescue Me”. Ben and I met friends for dinner in SoHo, and we walked through the set to get to the restaurant. When we walked upon the set and watched the actors and gawking tourists patiently wait for the next take, I couldn’t suppress a tiny bubble of excitement that said, “Now’s your chance”.

It IS New York. As we planned our route to the restaurant’s front door, I already knew what dress to wear to the Emmys and who to thank in my acceptance speech at the Oscars. That night was to be my big break. Finally, Hollywood would see how bright a true star shines.

Ben walked as I confidently sashayed through the set during a break. With all of the extras dressed in dark, nondescript coats I just HAD to stand out in my lipstick red, wool coat. I turned when we reached the entrance of the restaurant, strained my ears for a voice crying, “There’s our real star! Stop her!”

But, alas, I heard no voice. Felt no tug on my sleeve. Saw no camera in my face. I only heard a voice shout through the bullhorn, “Alright, MOVE IT! We’ve got a show to do!”

Maybe next time.

No comments: