Monday, March 16, 2009

Desperate Times

What I really need are “cool” pencils (by elementary school standards) and white Hanes Her Way athletic socks. Nothing too exciting. Nothing too outrageous or extravagant. In the city with the world’s best shopping only a short cab ride away, these two items should be easy. Right?

Not so much. Not. So. Much.

I walked to Duane Reade stores, 99-cent stores, and grocery stores in search of athletic socks and pencils. No socks or pencils to be found. How, in NEW YORK CITY, can I not find athletic socks? Hannah Montana pencils? SpongeBob erasers? How?

Desperate times called for desperate measures. So, I did what I always do when standing at the crossroads of not knowing and confusion… I called my mom and she went to Wal-Mart, a place that has everything ever needed under one roof.

One phone call, and just like that, a box of pencils and a package of socks are now traveling north to New York City via UPS.

No comments: