Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hair Lady

For as many “cool” people as there as are in New York City, there are equally as many crazy ones. I often witness unprovoked New Yorkers make inappropriate comments or share inappropriate thoughts. It has happened to others and myself on the subway, on the street, or just about anywhere. In retrospect, I tend to wonder what I did that screamed, “Please, please, please humiliate me in front of all these people!”

Last Thursday, I relaxed on the bus with my iPod turned up to drown out surrounding noise. In the distance, I heard a lady’s voice repeat, “Miss. Miss. MISS!” I turned my head to face a long rainbow colored fingernail pointing my way. I took off my headphones.

“Uh, yes?” I asked, uncomfortably.

She sat high on her seat and between a gold grill that glinted in the afternoon sun, she loudly asked the only blonde on the bus…

“What kind of shampoo do you use?”

“L’Oreal,” I said with a shrug, turning red at the direct and unwanted attention.

“Mmmm, you REALLY need to use Pantene.”

“Oh, really?” I questioned, slightly ruffled at this suggestion already knowing that Pantene is NOT the best for my hair.

But, because she’s the authority on long blonde hair, when hers is cropped and black, she continued…

“You have nice hair, and you need to treat it good. You need to use Pantene.”

“Oh, yes. You’re right. I should DEFINITELY use Pantene. Thank you.“

“Just thought you’d like to know.” She winked and then settled back into her seat after throwing me a little kiss.

Yes, I agree… knowing the good from the bad makes all the difference.

2 comments:

JTNOFFSINGER said...

Just catching up on your blog. That's hilarious and disturbing all at the same time. Your writing style cracks me up, Elizabeth. Please write a book compiling all of these stories someday. I will buy it in a minute.

Lucy Beckett said...

pantene is TERRIBLE for your hair. several hairdressers have told me its like using paraffin wax on your hair. stick with the loreal. and i LOVE your blog.