Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lost and Found

Our luggage arrived! I pumped my fists triumphantly in the air. Once again, we won. Us vs. the airline. Us vs. Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, Alabama. We did it. And, just in time for our weekend trip to Kentucky. Whew.

I missed the first drop-off phone call early this afternoon when I was in a meeting on 6th Avenue. I called the mystery number back and hoped that it would be someone, anyone with our luggage. It was, but I missed my chance and he wouldn’t swing by the Upper West Side again until later.

So, I camped out in our apartment a-l-l afternoon and waited. Impatiently. I waited for the clothes that would need to be laundered and repacked. At 8:30pm, the phone rang.

I ran outside and waited on the curb just as a midnight blue minivan squealed around the corner and sped past me. Darn. Suddenly, the driver slammed on the brakes and threw the van into reverse. The side door opened and our luggage fell out!

The driver smiled. I cheered. We high-fived. I thanked him and rolled both suitcases in, very relieved.

No comments: