Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Surviving the Desert


Nick, the Best Man at our wedding, said it best in his toast. My husband, Ben, panics. He completely freaks out for no apparent reason about things that most people wouldn’t think twice about. On Saturday, our trip through the desert gave him plenty of reason to panic.

We had to drive two hours through the desert before we would reach the Grand Canyon. Every 30 miles, Ben pulled the rental car over and requested that our group of four hop out to take pictures of the awesome scenery.

As Laura and I slept in the back seat, Ben and Eric chatted in the front. Ninety minutes into the desert, I pried my eyelids open, tried to gain control of my motor skills, and swallowed what felt like cotton balls. That’s what I get for sleeping with my mouth open. So attractive. Pretty sure Ben glanced in that rearview mirror and thought, “lucky me”.

With eyes still half closed, I whispered Eric’s name, groped for my water bottle, dangled it within reach, and hoped he could decipher the message to open the bottle. Thankfully, he did.

I guzzled the water and rested my head. Suddenly, Ben sat erect in the driver’s seat and shouted, “Babe? Babe, are you okay?” I mumbled an answer, which only threw Ben into a bigger tizzy. “OH MY GOSH, she’s dehydrated!”

Immediately, Ben and Eric clutched their throats and fanned themselves fearing the worst. Their conversation went a little like this.

“We’re in the desert with no water. Where are we going to get water?”

“My lips, my lips are cracked. I need water, chapstick!”

I sleepily pulled chapstick out of my pocket and passed it to the front.

“We’ve got to get WATER!”

“Pull off at the next stop.”

I listened and shook my head. Typical. Typical behavior from Ben. Only this time he found a partner to share in the frenzy.

In the distance, Eric spotted a gas station to which Ben frantically cried, “What if it’s a mirage?”

We veered off the interstate and squealed into the parking lot. Laura raised her head because of the commotion, but quickly fell back asleep. Ben and Eric raced into the gas station and emerged with a gallon jug of water to quench their “dehydration”.

Eric then grabbed my water bottle and refilled it so that “in a case of an emergency” I would have plenty of fluids. An emergency that, apparently, the front seat declared at mile marker 97.

Then, with a gallon of freshly distilled water, tube of chapstick, and renewed sense of calmness we headed east for the Grand Canyon.

1 comment:

Dame Wendy said...

Love this. My guy overreacts when it comes to getting sick. If I sneeze all of a sudden he's in front of me with vitamin C, echinecea, etc.