Wednesday, February 20, 2008

DVDs & Day Spas

Our DVD player broke this weekend and sent Ben into a tizzy. My explanation that cheap, Wal-Mart electronics cannot sustain regular beatings eluded Ben. Problems started to brew six months ago when he would knock around the DVD player, but nurse his TV like a newborn baby. “Where’s the special cloth to clean the screen? Don’t put your cup so close to base! Press the buttons gently, gently.” Yesterday, the DVD player had enough when he ripped the cords out in anger, yelled profanities, and then expected it to work. Electronics have feelings too.

Last night, we ventured to Circuit City to price check their selection of DVD players. Ben posed questions as we perused the aisles. Do we need an HD up-converter? Will Blu-Ray replace HD DVD? Will On Demand movies eventually replace DVDs all together?

Yikes. He may as well talk politics in Yiddish or serve artichoke hearts for dessert. I don’t like electronics. I don’t know about electronics. And, honestly, I don’t care to learn. I have no qualms as long as the exterior color matches everything else and I only have to push a few buttons to make it work. No high tech gadgetry or fancy codes for me, thank you.

I strategically wandered away from Ben and his barrage of questions to a small room which boasted a centrally located massage chair and where speakers covered the walls. Not sure which item they wanted to sell – the speakers or the chair. I had just entered Circuit City's very own day spa. I wiggled deep into the black leather as the massager kneaded my shoulders and the oldies pulsated in the background. The stress of comparing overpriced pieces of plastic melted away, along with every other worry in my life.

I then decided that my appreciation for electronics would be positive if always viewed from the comfortable seat of an Omega M-2 Negative-Ion Massage Chair. Oh, wouldn’t life be grand?

3 comments:

JTNOFFSINGER said...

Our DVD player broke last week, too! I, on the other hand, am the A/V guru of the household, which is nice, but it means that if I can't figure it out, then it doesn't GET figured out. I agree, life would always be better from a massage chair.

Did Ben find a nice player? We decided against the BluRay or HD upgrade just yet.

bunny said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and have read through the archives. I love that you recently got married AND moved to NYC - what a change!!!! Very cute stories (I actually keep typing "adorable" and then deleting it, because you're obviously not a puppy or a four year old!) - Yay! Write more often! And I hope you're enjoying the freezing-while-walking-everywhere place that is NYC as much as I am right now (not!!!)

Anonymous said...

blu-ray is the coming function. Is the old computer working? It can wireless or wired.