Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Everybody's Working for the Weekend


It’s only Wednesday, but I sprinkle fairy dust and wiggle my toes to make the week fly. We await the arrival of the Perkins family, friends of ours also enjoying newlywed bliss. They travel north to the big city to bunk with us for the weekend.

I prepare for their visit by taking an inventory of all items we have in stock that will make their trip a success. The less that guests have to drag into cabs, buses, or subways the happier they will be upon arrival. I believe, what's mine is yours.

I first assess my beauty arsenal by lining up hair products on the floor – shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, Chi straight iron, and Conair hot rollers. We southern women swear by hot rollers. People comment on Amy Winehouse's bouffant, well teased hairdo like it's something new. She's a dime a dozen in any southern hair salon or beauty pageant.

I check the kitchen for tortilla chips, homemade salsa, Crystal Light lemonade, paper cups, and plates. In the bedroom/living room/study, I assess linens, towels, pillows, and air mattresses. I smash the ironing board behind the plywood wardrobe and push the couch down two inches to create a spot for their suitcases.

I sweep the three foot space of open floor in the living room and shake out the bathroom mat. All I have left to do is cut and hang the new shower curtain liner to fit the 13 inch shower opening. Suck in and turn sideways when stepping into shower, ladies and gentlemen.

I sit back to admire my preparation skills, my talents as a hostess. They definitely improved after saying "I do". My mom would be amazed, appreciate the values she instilled in me. She would be proud.

1 comment:

L Perkins said...

CAN'T WAIT for a weekend with the hostess with the mostess :)