Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Vocabulary Lesson

I worked with two boys one afternoon. We focused on new vocabulary words found in their reading. I read the word "crouch" and asked what it meant. They took a few guesses and almost defined it. We then discussed the definition and practiced crouching around the room. We thought of synonyms and antonyms for "crouch." We used "crouch" in our own sentences.

We had the new word down!

We then went to the gym to shoot a basketball and practice old vocabulary words. We each took a turn throwing the ball from the three point line. I knew my ball wouldn't reach the goal overhanded, so I bent low to the ground and threw it granny style. Smooth, I thought, until I heard one of the boys yell...

"Look!  She's crotching!  She's crotching!  I'm using our NEW WORD!"

I almost died.

Literally.

I almost died.

No comments: