Monday, April 23, 2012

Italy: Humble Abode

We traveled to the Almafi Coast with a tour company, so they booked our hotel in Sorrento. I had no idea what to expect. Would the hotel be rundown? Would it be gross? Would it be in a shady part of town? Or, as a New Yorker, I worried... would it have bedbugs? Such questions plagued my thoughts, though Ben didn't seem fazed one bit. He remained glued to the window, soaking in the surroundings.

The bus unloaded a few tourists at the first hotel. Their hotel looked nice, really nice. All bedbug fears subsided. Ben and I started to get excited. We hoped that we would have such luck.

And, luck we had.

The bus turned onto a cobblestone drive and drove through palm trees and wild vegetation up a hill to The Capodimonte Hotel. We walked though large wooden doors into the hotel and the upper class. I waited for a tropical drink to appear and a handmaiden to wheel my suitcase to our room. I looked to Ben and knew he felt the same. He puffed his chest and strode to the front desk. We acted as if staying at fabulous resorts in exotic locales was the norm.  Four stars... no big deal.

We reveled in the space of our room. The bathroom was 3x the size of our bathroom in NYC. The balcony sure beat our fire escape. And, unlike our small bed in NYC, Ben's feet actually fit on the king size mattress.

Ah, nothing beat our life of luxury.


Surprise 4-star resorts and no bedbugs make me happy

View from our room's balcony at the hotel

View from the 1 of 4 pools at the hotel

Outside our room at the hotel

No comments: