Saturday, March 17, 2012

Italy: Unholy Art Thou

We visited Vatican City in Rome.  First, we moseyed around the outside and took pictures.  Then, we joined the line to enter St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican.  We stood in line for only a couple of seconds before a random woman ran over to proclaim that I was dressed inappropriately.

Didn't this already happen to me?  Yes, yes it did.  Ben and I looked at each other.

The woman pointed to my tank top and bare shoulders.  She shook her head "no."  Then, she waved her hand toward my shorts and exposed knees.  Again, she shook her head "no." I was too risque for Venice and now too risque for Vatican City. Basically, I was just too risque for Italy.

Ben shook his head.  We asked the woman what to do.  Naturally, she recommended purchasing one of the $20 scarves draped across her arm.  I immediately responded... "No way.  I live in New York and they sell those on the corner for five bucks."

Ben threw up his hands and shot me a look that I interpreted as "you'll spend that much on ice cream, but you won't pay that to get us in one of the greatest cathedrals ever built."  I shook my head.  We turned and walked a couple of blocks before finding a small gift shop that sold me the exact same scarf for $5.

So, I bought two.

I bought two, but not because I wanted to buy two.  I needed one to cover my shoulders and another to cover my knees.  My Puma sneakers complimented my old peasant woman getup pretty nicely.

Thankfully, my new outfit did the trick and allowed me access to St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican.  I believe even St. Peter would let me pass through the Pearly Gates of Heaven in that outfit.  I do believe.


Ben in front of St. Peter's Basilica

Fashion statement

Inside St. Peter's Basilica

Inside St. Peter's Basilica

Inside St. Peter's Basilica

Inside the Vatican

Ben joined the line of great men in the Vatican

View from a Vatican window

Stairs in the Vatican museum

View of St. Peter's Basilica from a Vatican window

View of the Vatican from another part of the Vatican

No comments: