Saturday, March 10, 2012

Italy: No Crybabies in Rome

Tears trickled down my face as I boarded a train with Ben and we waved goodbye to Sebastian, Megan, Cortona, and probably the best couple days of my life.  Thankfully, Ben didn't capture that on film. My face pressed to the window, my ponytail askew with red and puffy eyes, as I waved goodbye to Sebastian who stood on the platform and probably thought "good riddance."

Our train sped straight to the next stop on our journey, Rome. I started to get excited for Rome, but it took work (so ungrateful sounding, I know). I wasn't ready to trade a small town for the big city.

The train pulled into the station in Rome and we trekked about a half mile to our hotel. Ben compared the area to midtown in NYC, and I agreed.  Busy, loud, and full of tourists. People set up tables and sold everything from "I Love Rome" T-shirts to plastic magnets to scarves with a city map printed on them.

I had to immediately adjust my perspective because no one in Rome was going to bring me a fresh plate of prosciutto and melon or wave hello like they did in Cortona.  Nope, definitely not.  Probably pickpocket first and greet later. Hence, I gripped my suitcase handle a little tighter.

We found our hotel after a few wrong turns and lugged our suitcases to our room. Clark Griswald, I mean Ben, listed the planned events of the day.  First, a bus tour.  Bus tours, I agreed with Ben, proved the best way to see and learn about a new place.

The problem was that my brain continually equated bus time to nap time. I conked out on every bus, whether we boarded for 5 minutes or 5 hours.  Once again, Ben voiced displeasure about my narcoleptic moments when in such a magnificent part of the world, and I responded with my usual line of "I'm on vacation." I then mentally thanked Ben for his efforts to keep me awake because, without him, I would have looped endlessly around umpteen European cities on tour buses and never saw anything. But, I couldn't admit that. 

We hopped on and off the bus tour to see some pretty fantastic and mind blowing sights.  Pictures below.


Awoken from a nap on the bus tour and forced at camera-point to smile in front of the colosseum.

Rome (and the colosseum) made Ben giddy.




The colosseum shone at night.

We glimpsed the Vatican "from a distance" (cue Bette Midler's song...).

No comments: