Wednesday, August 24, 2011

France: Versailles

No, it is not Versailles, Kentucky, nor is it pronounced that way. The French say "Ver-sigh." A mistake I made only ONCE.


Versailles is a short, one hour train ride outside of Paris. Our foursome joined a bike tour of about 20 people to see the grounds of Versailles for an all day excursion led by an animated young lady. Thankfully, we experienced good weather because the tour happens "rain or shine." I would have made for one unhappy and soggy biker in the rain.


I recommend the bike tour if physically possible only because Versailles is spread out with lots of castles and mini-castles to see.  It would be impossible to walk to everything in one day, unless, of course, you're a speed demon or a marathon walker. The bike tours are leisurely and relaxing, although go-carts would jazz it up a bit. I doubt, though, that the French would approve of such a thing.



Our tour guide shared interesting stories about the history of Versailles and the man that truly enjoyed it as only a monarch could, King Louis XIV. My favorite story involved King Louis XIV and his obsession with large calves (on his legs, not in the field). He believed that large calves equated to wealth and a diet rich in protein. Good thing I wasn't alive then because I would have laughed out loud upon hearing such a preposterous idea.  And, therefore, would have subsequently been beheaded.

After King Louis XIV's story, I made Ben take a picture with me that highlighted our massive and Amazonian calf muscles. Mostly, I wanted to prove to myself that we would have been a part of the elite class and not mere commoners.  Brian and Amanda then did the same. We definitely eked into the upper crust of society.

No comments: