Sunday, February 13, 2011

My New Schtick


I’ve learned a lot of new words since moving to New York, specifically a lot of Yiddish words.  I’ve expanded my vocabulary. Added a little flavor to what I say.

I hear words like kvetch, chutzpah, yenta, oy vey, and mensch quite a bit.  Although, I feel I lack the pizzazz and authority to pull them off in normal conversation.  I have incorporated a few into my daily speech. 

Like the word schlep, which I use at least several times a week.  In New York, we use the word schlep to refer to our grueling commutes around the city.  For example, “I schlepped home from work in the rain with three bags of groceries.”  Schlep really gets the point across to people.  We don’t walk or stroll, we schlep.  I also like to throw in a jubilant mazel tov when appropriate, which isn’t too often, but often enough for me to include in this post.

Since moving to New York, I’ve munched on bagels with lox, eaten latkes, schmoozed at parties, and shook my tukhus on the dance floor.  I’ve dealt with a schmuck or two on the street and have participated in Shabbat on several occasions.  I’ve listened to people spiel about things, and once saw a stranger’s schlong (totally by accident on the way to the subway).

The new vocabulary really suits me.   It makes me feel very “New York”.  I think a few of these words will transition into a permanent part of my vocabulary.  Yes, that’s right.  I will make it a part of my schtick.  

* Check out wikipedia for the definitions of the Yiddish words mentioned above if they elude you.  

No comments: