Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mistaken Identity

Here is another post dedicated to the Second Avenue Select Bus Service...

On Monday, I settled into a bus seat and popped in my earbuds to relax to some good music. Unexpectedly, I felt someone tap my leg. I looked up to see an unfamiliar man in a dark hat, coat, and gloves. He mouthed something unintelligible and, what I assumed to be, unimportant.  Annoyed, I gave him a dirty look and returned to my phone.  No way was I going to interrupt my music and waste my time on a strange man.

A few minutes later I felt another tap on my leg.  I looked up to see the same man standing there. I reluctantly removed my headphones, expecting him to say something inappropriate or weird.

"I am with the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) checking valid bus tickets.  Please get out your ticket," he said.

Oops.  He wasn't a strange man on a mission to bother me or ruin my day.  Nope.  He was just an employee of the city doing his job.

That's when I realized just how hardened of a New Yorker I've become.

 

No comments: