Saturday, December 4, 2010

New Coat

I broke down and bought a long winter coat.  Long like it hangs down to my calves and has big furry trim around the hood.  It’s my Christmas present.

NYC gets so cold in the winter.  The temperature drops, and I still spend the same amount of time outside.  I am always walking a couple of blocks here, a couple of blocks there.  Waiting for the bus here, catching a taxi there.  I spend quite a bit of time in the blustery outdoors.

That’s why I got a long coat.  Of course, I opted for the version that is stylish as well as warm.  It fits like a shapely sleeping bag that's been upgraded with a fur trimmed hood.

I never understand Ben.  He wears a flimsy, waist length wool coat all winter.  If it’s really cold, he’ll add a scarf, hat, and gloves.  Otherwise, a wool coat is it.  I wear a wool coat in October and then switch to a thigh length down parka in November, which I will now exchange for a calf length down parka for the rest of the winter.  (This is in addition to the long johns I wear under my jeans.)

Somewhere I lack the same internal heat source that keeps Ben warm.  But, we’ll see this winter.  Maybe my comfy, wearable sleeping bag will persuade him to the warmer side.

No comments: