Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bad Timing


Apparently, having weird experiences on public transportation is a reoccurring theme for me this month.

On Thursday night, I took the train to Queens to meet Ben and friends.  I luckily found a spot to sit on the crowded train.  I wedged myself between two people and started to relax until I noticed the girl sitting across the aisle looked pretty woozy and pale.  Uh oh.

I didn’t want to make her feel uncomfortable about not feeling well, but I decided to “monitor” her.  I needed to know when to bolt if she was going to get sick and possibly projectile vomit across the car. 
I turned my head for two minutes, and when I looked back my eyes almost popped out of my head.  The girl sat with her eyes closed and a hand over her mouth as vomit dribbled through her fingers!

YUCK.

As soon as I saw her I almost got sick.  

Unfortunately, she threw up just as the subway doors closed.  She had to sit like that until we reached the next subway stop, which was about three to four minutes away.  She stood and stumbled across the car as soon as we the train began to slow down and we neared the stop.  She stepped over a man’s legs and when the doors opened she leaned outside and released everything.

SIIIIIIIIIIIICK.

I was weirdly grossed out and fascinated by the whole experience for two reasons.  One, she experienced one of my worst fears – to get sick while on public transportation.  And, two, not a single person (with the exception of me) even blinked.  Everyone acted normal.  No one seemed phased by the situation at all. 

New Yorkers really are immune to everything (err… except the flu).  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gross!! I can't believe you had to witness this. Question- did she get back on the train after she puked?