Saturday, March 13, 2010

Jury Duty

On Thursday and Friday, I reported to 71 Thomas Street for jury duty. They tracked me down after only 2 ½ years of living in New York. They are good.

I anticipated two long and boring days, but was pleasantly surprised. People had misled me with negative comments. Jury duty rocked!

I finished a bunch of reports for work. I utilized the free Wi-Fi and caught up on celebrity gossip. I stalked a few people on Facebook. I edited photos on my laptop. And, most importantly, I made a new friend, Johanna, who happens to live on my street but on the other side of Central Park. Johanna and I really bonded – not hard to do when surrounded by strangers and sitting less than five inches apart for six hours straight.

On Thursday, in the first hour, a clerk called about 30 or 40 names. A panel of lawyers emerged from the back room to interview those people for juror selection. Luckily, neither Johanna nor I were called.

We couldn’t help but be superstitious. Every time a lawyer or judge walked by, I’d hold my breath or look at the ceiling or freeze my body. Since I did that the last time they walked by and I didn’t get picked, I should surely do it again to keep from getting selected. Completely logical.

I guess our tactics worked because neither of us got picked. Instead, I got to enjoy a nice and relaxing day. Got a bunch of work done. Met cool people. Made a new friend.

Let’s just say that I won’t be too disappointed if called back in six years.

No comments: