Saturday, November 21, 2009

School Visit

Okay, last story about my parents’ visit. I promise.

My mom and dad visited my school the Monday that they were in town. I took them to several classrooms where they were “guest readers” and answered questions from the kids. I had warned my dad that most questions would probably stray from “The Giving Tree” and center around, well, whatever happened to be on the kids’ minds at the moment.

One little girl in the second grade classroom timidly raised her hand.

“How old are you?” she asked.

“How old do you think I am?” my dad asked back.

“Mmmmm, 40,” she said, thoughtfully.

“Oh, I LIKE that number,” replied my dad.

Several kids then shouted out numbers in the 40-50 age range.

During this conversational exchange, I watched one little girl’s face wrinkle in confusion and disbelief. Obviously, judging by my dad’s white hair and beard and wrinkles, she knew better. I realized where her thinking was headed. So, naturally, I called on her to comment next.

“I think you’re more like… 100.”

You could hear my dad's laugh three floors down.


* * * * * * * * * *


Parents’ roundtrip plane tickets to NYC: $600

Taxi fare to school: $15

Seeing dad’s reaction and hearing his laugh when told he looks 100 years old: PRICELESS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really like your blog. Your parents sound really 'cool' , more articles about them would be nice.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth's parents ARE really cool!