Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Perspectives: Part I

I leaned against the wall at the therapy gym where I work in the evenings, and joined the other therapists in conversation. We chatted about Spring Break plans when one therapist mentioned that he will travel to Louisiana to rebuild homes destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. Interested, I asked him to continue.

He had visited New Orleans in 2005 after the hurricane and witnessed the destruction Katrina wreaked on not only the city, but its people. I thought about the great perspective he will get from visiting then and now.

“I’m really looking forward to it. I mean, most people have been living in trailers for three years,” he cried incredulously. “Three years!”

The other therapists nodded in agreement, shaking their heads.

“Can you imagine living in a trailer for three years?” he asked, totally stressing the word ‘imagine’.

I stood dumbfounded and highly amused. City folk.

“Actually, yes, I can. I’m from Kentucky. Trailers… they’re pretty common.”

Roger looked at me, slightly shocked.

“Oh,” he said slowly. “Oops.”

It ain’t all skyscrapers and high rises, baby.

5 comments:

east side girl said...

Ha! I totally agree. I'm from Western Pennsylvania, where the trailers outnumber the skyscrapers about 10-1.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Phil in Florida said...

Florida, too, has a zillion - some costing upwards of 250,000. The only drawback, I can see is that your neighbors are only about 10 feet away.

You haven't lost your touch, Elizabeth! I was concerned that having a job would take all the fun away...

Anonymous said...

LOVE the new masthead - It's YOU!
Enjoyed seeing you on Friday at BWWs!

Anonymous said...

oh, Elizabeth. I just had my last day with a student today, and it made me think of you. I hope the new jobs are treating you well.

Loved this post, BTW. It's interesting how skewed your sense of reality can become.