Friday, March 8, 2013

Vocabulary Lesson

I taught the word "debate" to several kids. We worked on a few strategies to help them remember the definition. I shared a personal story to make a connection between the word, its meaning, and how to use it in a sentence.

They loved the story.

They enjoyed it so much that they still use the word and example... daily. Dai-ly.

I told them that sometimes I got into trouble when I was their age. If I argued with my dad when I got into trouble he would yell, "This is NOT a debate!"

Of course, I never understood what "debate" meant. I just knew it wasn't good if my dad said it in that tone at that volume with flailed arms and a red face. I only understood what the word meant after I got ballsy enough to ask him (through heaving sobs).

The kids loved this story.

They loved that: 1) I got in trouble, 2) an adult yelled at me, and 3) they now got to point a finger and yell "This is not a debate!" to their teacher.

I don't know if many would agree with that strategy, but I don't care because it worked.

And, let's be honest, this is not a debate.

No comments: