Friday, July 29, 2011

Scotland: The Jig Is Up

The coolest thing about the wedding in Scotland was the dancing at the reception.  The bride and groom chose The Jiggers Ceilidh Band, a local Scottish band that played traditional music and taught the guests traditional Scottish dancing.  Think of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet dancing in the bottom of the boat in the movie "Titantic," but then picture approximately 30 Americans doing that without any previous jig experience and after drinking cocktails. Quite a sight.

We jigged so much and so hard that I literally burnt the rubber taps off of my heels.  It was that INTENSE.  Throughout the reception, Ben touted the efficient ventilation of the kilt and debated on carrying the kilt tradition back to the States.  I absolutely encouraged it.

During certain jigs, bodies literally flew in all directions.  Think dodgeball with adult extremities.  At one point, during a vigorous dance that lasted quite awhile, I feared that I was going to either 1) faint, or 2) throw up.  That's how hard we danced.  That's how into it we were.   

The first picture is of a (semi) coordinated group dance, and the second picture is of Ben swinging me around during another dance. And, don't worry, Ben held tightly onto me so that I did not twirl right off the dance floor and into a marble column.



No comments: