Saturday, June 25, 2011

A New X-Men

A couple of Saturdays ago, around 9:00am, I sat on the couch in the living room and typed reports for work.  I randomly began to hear whistles, followed by a soft banging, coming from the opposite end of our long hallway.  Every few minutes, a bell rang.  The noises continued for about 25 minutes.  I assumed children were playing in the hallway and their dad was attempting to control them by whistling (seemed plausible).

After almost 30 minutes of noise, I became highly annoyed.  I threw on a pair of shoes and walked down the hallway.  When I reached the elevator, I heard my name.  I turned and saw that my superintendent was stuck in the elevator and had been for the past two hours!

Again, that darn elevator.

The door was ajar about six inches and my super and I looked at each other in disbelief.  What do we do? I asked.  Push it open, he said.

Push open the steel door of an elevator?  Yeah, right.

But, somehow, I mustered a superhuman sort of strength (that or the door is more aluminum than steel) and slid my arm through the crack.  Carlos and I pushed with all of our strength and...


Surprise! Who knew I had it in me?  I knew I was tough, but destroying an elevator door is a completely new level of strength.  Carlos enthusiastically thanked me.  I dusted off my hands.  No big deal.  Just being a good tenant.

No comments: