Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Feelin' It


Ben’s enthusiasm for things is initially intense, but then the enthusiasm quickly fades.  For example, whenever we make chili, he exclaims, “I love chili!  We should have it EVERY week.”  When we make meatloaf, he says, “I forgot how great meatloaf is.  Let’s make it EVERY week.”  Each time we do laundry, he says, “We should never wait to do laundry.  Let’s do it EVERY weekend.”
 
“… I love having no dishes in the sink.  Let’s do dishes after EVERY meal.”

“… My beard looks good.  I’m going to grow one EVERY winter.”

“… I enjoy getting up early and having a cup of coffee.  I’m going to do it EVERY day.”

“… I feel great when I get plenty of sleep.  I’m going to bed early EVERY night.”

“… I love your face wash.  I’m going to use it EVERY morning.”

Several Saturdays ago, Ben went for a run in the park.  He returned home and cried, “I feel fantastic!  I’m going to run EVERY day.”  Uh-huh.  I nodded encouragingly, but secretly doubted that he would run again within the month.  (And, I was right.)

Ben declares an undying allegiance to something new almost every week, and it’s always short-lived, which is fine with me.  I find it very entertaining. I pointed it out to Ben, and at first he denied it.  But, he caught himself exuberantly proclaiming his love for things so often that he finally acknowledged that I was right. 

He then exclaimed, “I can’t help it.  I’m very passionate about things. I’m a passionate person.  I’m going to passionate about something EVERY day…”

1 comment:

carolyn said...

Ben has always felt his emotions strongly. I find that quality to be much more interesting than the opposite--an even personality. You just have to be ready for it.
I love your insight!