Thursday, June 24, 2010

Small World


On Tuesday night, we went to the Met with a group of friends to see the ballet “Swan Lake.”  The ballet was awesome.  But, this post is not about that.

I introduced myself to one of the girls in our group thinking that she looked vaguely familiar.  We talked, but just couldn’t figure out how we could possibly know each other.  Our only connection was our mutual friend that proposed going to the ballet.

Finally, we figured out that we both live on the Upper West Side.  But, we had never run into each on the Upper West Side.  I then asked the cross streets of her apartment building.  She said that she had recently moved to a new building, but told me her old cross streets.

I said, “Wait!  I live at around there.”

She then replied, “Well, my building wasn’t that nice.  It was pretty old.”

That was all I needed to hear. 

“Oh, so you lived at blah, blah, blah.”

“Yes!” she exclaimed.  “How did you know?”

“I live there now,” I said.

I discovered, with more probing, that the reason she looked so familiar was because I toured her apartment last August when looking for a new place, and I actually spoke to her!  I had asked her a few questions as I walked through her apartment.

We were flabbergasted!  In a city of eight million people, I share a mutual friend with a girl whose apartment I randomly toured and happened to talk to a year ago as she typed on her computer.  I don’t even know the odds for that happening.

It’s a small, small world.


* I just want to add that she was a really nice girl and felt bad about saying that her old apartment/our current apartment was old and not super nice.  I said that our apartment, while nice and a million times better than our old place, doesn't compare to her new apartment located in a brand-new-top-of-the-line apartment building.  So, no hurt feelings.

No comments: