Friday, April 30, 2010

Perspectives: Part VIII

On Monday, I worked with a group of students on the rug in the back of the classroom.  We’ve developed a pretty good relationship over the past two years, and have gotten to know each other pretty well.  They always seem to enjoy stories about my small town, rural upbringing.

One of the boys pointed to me, completely unrelated to the assignment, and said, “She has an iPhone.”
“Really?” asked the other boy.

Although we were venturing off task, I decided to take the opportunity to teach an important life lesson.

“Yes, I worked really hard to save my money and buy it.  Now, my dad has one too.  We like to text each other to stay in touch.” I said, proud of my ability to slip in the importance of saving and using money wisely.

 “Wait,” the first boy said pretty surprised.  “Your dad has one, too?”

“Yes,” I replied, wanting to redirect his thinking back to financial awareness, but still confused by his shocked expression.  “Why is that so hard to believe?”

“I didn’t know country people had phones and could text!” he said.

Oh, city people have so much to learn about us.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

looooove this. too funny. Great blog, once again, Elizabeth!!

www.scatterbrainedtwentysomething.blogspot.com