Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First Class

We visited my grandma and grandpa in Florida this past weekend. My mom, dad, and brother were supposed to meet us down there, but their flight was cancelled because of bad weather in Charlotte, North Carolina. Ugh, winter storms on the east coast… when will they end?

At least Ben and I made it, even if the rest of the family did not. And, boy, oh boy, did we ever enjoy the flight! It was, hands down, the best flight EVER thanks to Ben’s “Medallion Elite” member status with Delta airlines. As a Medallion Elite member, he upgraded us to first class. Ah, the perks associated with marrying a frequent flyer.

I quickly learned that first class is the ONLY way to travel. There is no comparison. Zilch.

I realized this as soon as we settled into the extra comfy oversized seats and the (first class only) stewardess offered me a glass of (free) wine and an unlimited supply of (free) name brand candy bars and chips. All before the plane even fired up the engine! I can’t recall the last time that happened when flying coach.

The view in first class was pleasant; everything behind us was sooo pedestrian – crying babies, crammed seating, limited overhead space, bland snacks, and agitated passengers. Who needs any of that? Not us. No siree.

As our plane sailed down the runway I told Ben, “I can’t wait until they close the curtain to coach because I am so tired of having to look at the commoners when signaling my stewardess for another glass of (free) Minute Maid cranapple juice.” Awful, I know. My mindset totally changed when included in the elite group. I never knew that moving up an echelon would change me so much. I am not who I thought I was.

But, oh, first class, how I love thee!

I loved Ben’s (free) pesto pasta. I loved my (free) cod and chicken wrap. I loved the plethora of (free) snacks and drinks and spot-on service.

Oh! And, what else did I love? The stewardess thinking that I was 22 years old! I don’t know if they’re supposed to say that to first class fliers, but WHATEVER! I appreciated it…

I now end this post with a love letter.

Dear First Class,

I loved you with all of my heart. Without you, my 2 ½ hour flight would have been much less enjoyable. I may never have the opportunity to indulge and revel in your awesomeness again. Just know… I will never forget you.

Sincerely,
Itty Bitty

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahem. No cute Teo time in first class! Glad you enjoyed FL!

Anonymous said...

reminds me of when we moved from the old house to the condo on ky ave...how we soon we forget our roots...

Mommy E said...

Glad you had a good time!!

Jessica said...

Nick and I were in Florida this past weekend as well! We were in Destin, visiting his parents. It never got above about 45 degrees, but nonetheless, it was "vacation" away from work, and we had fun. Not nearly as much fun as you though... 4 flights, coach, "B" middle seat, and about 8 peanuts total. Hooray for your bliss! :)