Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Perspectives: Part IV

Some people spend lots of money on toys for kids – the bigger, brighter, and flashier… the better. Ironically, kids like the cardboard box more than the toy. Or, they lose interest in something that allows them little use of their imagination. My nephew’s Christmas list from last year best sums up this idea. He wanted a broom, a cape, and a cardboard box.

Some kids get older and the simplest things still make them happy… like a first grader on my caseload.

I asked him what he was most excited for about his upcoming field trip to Central Park. I expected him to tell me about the merry go round, the jungle gym, the picnic lunch, anything normal.

Instead, he gave me a new perspective.

“I can’t wait to walk through the tunnel by the trees because I’m going to show my whole class the homeless man that lives there,” he said earnestly. “He eats and sleeps there!”

Swings, slides, and sprinklers are sooooooooooo overrated when you live in New York City.

No comments: