Sunday, March 9, 2008

First Day

Tomorrow is the start of a new day, week, month, and life. I begin my first job in New York City as a speech therapist. I triumphantly pump my fists in the air and cheer, “Yes, yes, yes!”

My bank account eagerly awaits the deposit of my first check while I anticipate the first day at school as an employee. No longer do I wander the streets of New York as a jobless, slightly depressed college graduate. I now proudly march through the Upper West Side with my head a little higher, my step a little lighter, and my husband immensely relieved. No more will I sit at home and eat away our savings... literally, eating away our savings.

Originally, I secured a job at a middle and high school in the Bronx. But, I decided to look for a new job because the start date kept getting pushed back. And back. And back. Luckily, another opportunity presented itself. A local contract company found my resume online and asked me to work for them as an independent contractor. This past week I interviewed at four elementary schools throughout Manhattan (hence, the small number of blog posts).

After an exhausting week of nonstop travel, interviews, and frayed nerves – I signed a contract on Friday to work for two schools in Manhattan. I will work three days at one school and two days at the other.

Think of me tomorrow morning as I report to school armed with a newly laminated NYC Board of Education ID and booklet of instructions. I will be the employee with a very large smile on my face... the one very happy to have a job.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my new career. Yes, yes, yes!

6 comments:

Z said...

Congratulations! That's great!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Itty Bitty!!! Now you can change your blog name to "biggy worker-y"!!! Nah...doesn't have quite the ring. Enjoy your first day, and remember not to ask a child "what sounds they've been working on" because that's inapporpriate! LOVE YOU.

Unknown said...

congrats!! hope you had a great first day!!

Erica said...

YAY! i tried to call you last night to see how it was. Talk to you soon..can't wait to hear about it!!

Phil in Florida said...

Great news, indeed. Will you need to change your mid-Western accent
to fit in, or will you insist that they do it your way. At the very worst, it may be that the 'slut bartender' job is still open - and it's just around the corner

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! That makes me so happy. Let me practice my best nine-year old impression; 'Mrs. Fwanzeenee, my daddy says you're a good bartender'.
all the best.