Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Little Surprises


I love the little things I discover in the city. I suppose that’s expected in a city where eight million people span thirteen miles of island. Everyone stacked upon one other in miniature apartments separated by narrow allies. New York always existed as some other place, as somebody else’s place. Now, it’s my place too.

I often get lost when I travel around the city. Usually, it’s when I have to be somewhere on time or meet somebody. But, isn’t that how life goes? Nothing is ever clear cut and the best way isn’t always the quickest, safest, or easiest.

I love to turn onto a side street and discover a cozy coffee shop, a temporary bookstore that lines the sidewalk, or a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant that serves the best General Tso’s chicken. Just when I decide that New Yorkers aren’t friendly, an older lady smiles at me as we cross the street. Just when I think no one considers anyone else’s situation, a gentleman lets me cut in line at Fairways during the 5pm rush. Just as I bite my bottom lip in uncertainty about my move here, a new friend invites me for a drink after work.

I like the little surprises that the big city offers at unexpected times. They’re not life changing, but they mean a lot. They’re not fancy or expensive, but do I really need everything to be tied in pretty, big bows? The simpler, smaller pleasures suffice if I let them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liza, here are a few things you should consider.

1) The cozy coffee shop wasn't selling "fair trade" java.

2) The temporary bookstore was "temporary" because they were selling stolen books from NYC Public Library.

3) In NYC, General Tso himself likes his sweetly-glazed, meaty morsels to be made from free-range alley cat.

4) The older lady smiled because she didn't want to draw too much attention to the fact that she committed a crime 5 minutes earlier.

5) That man let you cut in line so he'd have someone to blame for the fart he just ripped.


...I'm just saying.