Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine Flu Survival

So, I’m still alive.

The infamous “swine flu” has landed in NYC (Queens, technically, but non-New Yorkers don’t know the difference). I still remain healthy and virus free. No weird symptoms here, just weird people wearing face masks and ranting on the news about the fate of the Big Apple.

I didn’t even flinch after reading about it in the paper upon our return from Miami. I just accepted it. Honestly, living here comes with accepting your fate. I know that if anything bad is going to happen, it’s going to happen in New York City. Watch an hour of TV or rent a few movies and you’ll know what I mean.

Last night, a guy in my building told me that a lady wore a breathing mask during his aerobics class on Wednesday night. She didn’t want to catch the swine flu and so risked looking like a maniac to all fellow gym-goers. Apparently, the need to burn some serious carbs still outweighed her fear of the flu.

If I haven’t made it clear, New Yorkers do not mess around.

On the other hand, Ben is clearly not fazed by the potential outbreak. He called on his way home from work and asked if wanted pork chops for dinner because they’re 50% off regular price. He always finds the silver lining.

4 comments:

jenn said...

ewww, ben...

Anonymous said...

Truly a wonderful world you live in.

Anonymous said...

Ben is getting more like your dad!! Can't pass up a sale item.

Nick said...

Atta boy, Ben!