Sunday, April 8, 2012

Italy: Party in Pompeii

After Naples, we headed to Pompeii, the city destroyed by Mount Vesuvius and covered in ash.  The tour guides warned us to wear sunscreen and protective clothing because the tour through Pompeii lasted several hours and there was no shade.  I, of course, took precautionary measures.  But, for some reason, a group of older women made it their mission to protect my fair skin.

They told me to carry an umbrella (no way), slather on sunscreen (did that), and wear a sun hat (not available).  I told them I tan well. Years of suntanning at Cave Run Lake had prepared me for the three hour tour of Pompeii.  They couldn't let it go, though.  I eventually snaked through the tour group and walked next to younger people who didn't care if I burned, let alone fell into an undiscovered pit of ash.

The artifacts and buildings left behind in Pompeii impressed me. They had tiled floors in Pompeii.  They painted beautiful murals on stone walls. They had sidewalks. They had sliding doors. Who knew?

The people of Pompeii also offered "after hours" enjoyment. Enjoyment that centered mostly around... the celebration of love. Only certain buildings provided this type of entertainment. To prevent confusion, they carved symbols into the stone walls to alert people. They also painted vivid scenes on the walls for the people who missed the symbols. While much artwork was lost or destroyed, the paintings in the "adults only" buildings somehow survived a thick coat of fiery ash and thousands of years of bad weather.

Why was I not surprised?

Entering Pompeii (Mount Vesuvius in the background)

Entering Pompeii

Gathering area in Pompeii (probably where they sacrificed improperly dressed women...)

Where the streets have no name

A street in Pompeii (it has curbs and sidewalks) with Mount Vesuvius in the background

Big kilns (I think)

Pompeii royalty

A Pompeii God

View from Pompeii

Paintings on wall

More paintings on walls

Tiled floor

Tiled floor

Tiled floor

Sign etched in stone on an "adults only" establishment

Bed made of stone (rather firm)

Painting in the "adults only" establishment

No comments: