Sunday, October 7, 2007

Two Degrees and Still No Job

I’m unemployed, but not by choice. I’m searching for a job on craigslist, monster.com, search engines, and websites. You name it, I’ve searched it. I've at least “googled” it. The NYC job market isn’t what I had expected. I imagined countless job opportunities awaiting my imminent arrival. The city would sigh with relief as I stepped off the plane with my new, crisp degree in hand. The city, my oyster, would hold the perfect job for me to find, seize, and succeed. How naïve could I have been? Somebody snap me out of that day dream and back into reality. I assumed the difficulty would be which job to choose from the plethora of positions offered. Hurry! Quick! Somebody order this gal a stiff drink of reality and a big dose of W.T.F! Thank you Hollywood for my warped sense of realism and overly inflated idealistic notions.

I never expected the job market to be so tough in the areas of my field in which I want to work. Plus, any job I apply for requires licenses, certificates, money, workshops, fingerprints, completed paperwork, and anything else that sounds official. Shish, could I bellyache any more?

I am very thankful despite the job search woes. My patient, understanding husband supports me in many ways, though I mostly speak now in monetary terms. I have the luxury of an employed spouse. Others don't. Still, the Delta ticket agent should have checked my photo ID and head before she handed me my boarding pass. In reality, marriage is more fun than I had ever dreamed, relocating to a northern city was how I had imagined, and the job search has been an unexpected challenge. With that said, I will now stick a cork in my bottle of “whine”, count my lucky stars for a supplemental income and newly minted degree, and pour myself another glass of idealism because life is so much more fun that way.

No comments: